Room Filling Sound
The Meander drivers, cross over and baffle angle have been chosen cafefully to deliver a room filling sound with minimal changes in the frequancy response with listening position:
- The tweeter that is used in the Meander is a so called dome tweeter. This type of tweeter does not beam the sound as much as other tweeter constructions like ribbon or horn tweeters do. Also, it is made of aluminium which has better off-axes response than other popular materials like silk, beryllium or even diamond for the same size. At 60 degrees and 10 kHz, the sound level is only -6dB (red line, tweeter mounted on infinite baffle) which is excellent compared to most other tweeters. This small drop in level is easily compensated for with the digital cross-over. All this means that despite the upward pointed baffle you will still hear the direct radiated high frequencies when sitting in front of the Meander, like you would with a normal forward pointing loudspeaker. But the Meander does generate a larger portion indirect sound in comparison, giving a more ambiance rich, life-like sound when sitting in front and a more well balanced sound elsewhere in the room.
- The 2 cones represent the left and right channel and indicate that the direct sound is not only travelling perpendicular to the baffle, but also forward, backward, left and right, thanks to the excellent sound spreading drivers and digital cross-over. In comparison, with lower quality drivers the cone would be more narrow, indicating less direct sound travelling to a seated position. For an optimal result the Meander needs to be placed close to hard walls such that the reflected sound can support the direct sound for quality listening elsewhere in the room.
the Magnetic Motor
All loudspeakers may look alike for the untrained eye. But to reduce cost, usually chassis are made from plastic, the magnet and voice coil are too small and the magnetic motor will be from simple, unoptimized geometry, to name a few. In contrast, take a look at the woofers that are used in the Meander that have been optimized for quality instead of cost:
- The magnetic structure is optimised using advanced Finite Element Analysis software. The result is a magnetic field with a better than 95% symmetry within the voice coil travel range of +/-12 mm. Compared to traditional designs, the harmonic distortion is greatly reduced, especially at higher loudness levels
- Large magnet structure with 39 mm heavy-duty fiber glass vented voice coil for better control, power handling, dynamic performance and low-level details
- Copper cap on center pole to reduce voice coil inductance and to minimize variations in voice coil inductance as a function of voice coil position
- Cone made of a paper/glass fiber mix with improved stability
- Rigid die cast alu chassis with extensive venting for lower air flow speed reducing audible distortion